Dance on Fire

My journey of musical discovery, past and present.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Thursday, September 01, 2005

i can learn

As a very young person listening to music, I was clueless about a lot that was going on with it. Music can be enjoyed whether you understand it or not (I'll admit my hard drive has its share of strange J-Pop) and when you're young that is the case.

The summer hangout for my brother and I was this pool at the country club we belonged at. (How ironic that we ended up being ridiculously pale.) We'd spend all day at this place; do a little swimming, order some spicy curly fries and a sprite, it was heaven. One day my brother asked my mother what my dad's favorite band was. She hesitated for a moment and said it was probably the Doors.

Now when you're just a dumb little kid, your natural instinct is to imitate your parents, so suddenly I started playing Doors CD's all the time and memorizing the lyrics. A week or so later at the pool, my brother and I were heading into the shower together to wash the chlorine off ourselves. Walking on the way to bathroom I start crooning:

Show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh, don’t ask why
Oh, don’t ask why

For if we don’t find
The next whiskey bar
I tell you we must die
I tell you we must die

My shocked mother instantly scolded me for saying such things. Her sweet little boy rambling on about whiskey and little girls. Of course I never took the time to examine the lyrics, it was all about the feeling given off by the rhythm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susanne Ingle said...

so the question becomes...is your dad's favorite band the Doors?

10:51 AM  
Blogger tightropewalker said...

he's at the age where they are too crazy for him to listen to very often. but whenever we put a doors cd in while driving, he'll sing-along some and rave about what an amazing band they were.

so i would say yes.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home