Dance on Fire

My journey of musical discovery, past and present.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Sunday, August 21, 2005

when it started

I'm not certain how old I was, but it was back in the days when sit and spin had no sexual connotation.

My father would put in a Doors CD and I'd be on my sit and spin, workin' it. With "Roadhouse Blues" on the speakers, I'd cease my spinning to get a better look at my dad's fantastic harmonica mimicry, believing he was somehow contributing to the soulful sound filling the room. Which was puzzling; I was fairly certain you needed an instrument to be doing that, but he seemed to get along fine with just his hands cupped around his mouth.

Then came the lines I was waiting for... "Ashen Lady!" I wailed. "Ashen Lady! / Give up your vows! / Save our city, right now."

And that's how it always was for me as a little kid growing up. In my free-time I'd put a CD in our only player, spin around in a circle getting dizzy as hell (Spinning: my primitive dancing technique which, due to the dizziness, doubled as a sort of drug when combined with the music. Later it even doubled as a method of self-mutilation when, in a stupor, I stepped directly on a jagged metal piece of a recliner's base, creating a significant gouge in my foot.), and sing along to every song on the CD, as I soon had each of them memorized.

When it started my favorite CD's were For the Lonely , a greatest hits CD by Roy Orbinson, The Bobby Darin Story , Hank Williams Greatest Hits, and an honorable mention to Steppenwolf's 16 Greatest Hits which I would listen to for the track "Sookie Sookie" - a song for which spinning would not suffice, it called for a strainer to be put on my head in conjunction with the spinning to create a truly intense listening experience. At that point I didn't care much for the remainder of the CD, which my mother would always listen to while cleaning the house.

And so that was the foundation of my interest in music. I loved the spinning and singing, prided myself in the memorization, and all the while even the songs I wasn't paying close attention to began to seep into my head and take root.


Song that won't disappoint (word is bond): "Hidden Chambers" - Ghostface Killah ft. Method Man, RZA, Raekwon, Masta Killah

Why? No frills, superb rapping that confronts the listener, coupled with some traditional wu-tang style minimalist production.

Bong Bong!

3 Comments:

Blogger Susanne Ingle said...

Would you say that your parent's musical tastes influenced you and yours growing up? In my case, yeah, but my parents listened to the cool music--Steppenwolf, the Doors, the Who, you name it, they had it...that's why my brother and I are well-rounded when it comes to music, I suppose...

2:23 PM  
Blogger tightropewalker said...

they definitely did, i think i've built upon their taste though.

like i learned all i could from them, and then started expanding upon that in the last 5 or 6 years.

4:25 PM  
Blogger ossy said...

same here, just not restricted to parents. i can listen to all types of music. i've been around all types of people with all types of music and appreciated every type for what it was.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home